Whole Foods Market - Town and Country had their 3rd annual Grass Fed Beef Chili Cook Off on Saturday the 19th, and with the help of the meat department, Habitat for Humanity Saint Louis won $500! It was a windy day, but the chili was hot and the crowds came out to vote for their favorite. If you'd like to try the winning chili, check out the recipe below! It's simple to make, and the ingredients are pretty interchangable. For example, use Bud Light, PBR, or another favorite beer instead of Zwickel. Enjoy!
South City Pork Steak Chili - Original recipe credit to Dan in the meat department.
- 2 links chorizo (10 oz)
- 1 lb grass fed beef
- 1 lb boneless pork steak
- 1 can of 365 organic red kidney beans
- 1 can of 365 organic northern beans
- 1 can of 365 organic tomato sauce
- 12 oz Urban Chestnut Zwickel beer
- 2 green peppers (cut into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 1 white onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 bunch of cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs pepper
- Remove chorizo from casing and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix the chorizo with the pork, beef, chili powder, and cumin, and sauté on medium heat for 7 minutes until browned.
- Drain the oil and using the same pan, sauté the peppers, onion, and garlic for four minutes on medium-high heat.
- When vegetables are soft, reduce the heat and add the beer.
- Cook down the beer for 5 minutes and add the beans, cooked meat, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and cilantro.
- Cook for 1 and a half hours on low heat.