Volunteers can use their volunteer experience with Habitat for Humanity Saint Louis (HFHSL), to collect community service hours for high school, college, & some court ordered offenses. NOTE: Depending on the reason for community service hours, the requirements may vary. See below for detailed information and instructions.
High School, College, Trades and Other Non Court-Ordered Community Service
- Sign-in on the build site, in the warehouse, at the administrative offices or in the ReStore.
- Ask for an orange timecard at sign-in.
- Log and date your hours on the timecard; on the build site, have a house leader, crew leader, crew leader trainee, task leader, or Habitat staff member initial your card at the end of the day. At the ReStore, a manager will initial your card at the end of the day/shift.
- Keep your card to log all required hours you need to accrue (several days can be logged on one card).
- Once you are ready to get a validation letter, follow the instructions under the Receiving a Validation Letter section.
Court Ordered Community Service
- All court ordered community service volunteers are required to submit proper documentation prior to being able to volunteer with HFHSL.
- Individuals not able to volunteer with us are those who have been charged with or plead guilty to one of any of the following offenses, including but not limited to: Armed Robbery, Assault, Aggravated Assault, Kidnapping, Arson, Robbery, and Statutory Offenses (Sexual Abuse, Sexual Assault, and Rape).
- Individuals charged with or having pleaded guilty to the following offenses can be approved on a case by case basis. These include but are not limited to: DWI, DUI, Drug Possession, Drug Sale Offenses, Violation of Probation, Burglary or Theft.
- If you are approved then you must submit documentation from the Courts, a Lawyer, or Probation/Parole Officer that states your name, the specific offense and the required amount of hours to be served. This can be emailed, faxed or mailed to Beckie Fingland (contact information below).
- You must have a validated yellow timecard from HFHSL, prior to volunteering. Schedule a time to come in and pick up a validated yellow timecard to track your hours. For the time card to be validated, you must set up a meeting with Beckie Fingland to receive the time card that is signed, dated, and stamped prior to your first day of volunteering. Available meeting hours are Mondays from 12pm-3pm and Wednesdays from 10am-12pm.
You must make an appointment to meet with any HFHSL staff member. Individuals who arrive without an appointment may have to wait or be asked to leave depending on staff availability. Hours volunteered prior to the HFHSL validated, signed, and dated time card WILL NOT be counted towards court ordered community service hours as they were not approved prior to volunteering by HFHSL.
- The approval process can take up to 3-4 days to be completed. We may not be able to accommodate volunteers needing to start immediately.
- For all of the details on court ordered community service volunteering download our Court Ordered Community Service Policies & Procedures (69kb PDF). Once you have completed your hours and are ready to get a validation letter, follow the instructions under the Receiving a Validation Letter section.
Receiving a Validation Letter
Once you have reached your desired number of hours mail, fax (both sides) or drop off your card to: Habitat for Humanity Saint Louis, Attn: Beckie Fingland, 3763 Forest Park Ave St. Louis, MO 63108; or fax 314-371-0440 (Use this contact information to send all other required documentation as well). Your request will be processed within two weeks of receipt and a letter will be mailed or faxed to the address given. Note: We cannot guarantee a response for an immediate letter, however we will work with you to the best of our abilities, depending on available staff.
How Do I Get Community Service Hours packet? (206kb PDF)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Validation letters will not be sent without Habitat having received your timecard.
NO exceptions! No card = No validation letter.
For questions or concerns about community service, please contact Beckie Fingland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-371-0400.
For information on our volunteer opportunities, please look at the volunteer section of our website.